Doulas are not just for labor support. We can help you after you have your baby!
For many families, the postpartum period or “4th trimester” is a rite of passage in and of itself. It’s common to feel unprepared to meet the challenges this part of the journey brings. As postpartum doulas, we are privileged to walk alongside you as you welcome your new baby into the family, providing gentle, nonjudgmental support and encouragement as you find your footing in your new role. Our goal is to help you become self-reliant and confident in your new skills!
Many parents express that loneliness and isolation were unexpected challenges for them in the first few months of their baby’s life. When you have a postpartum doula, you don’t have to worry about that! We will be by your side as you learn all about your baby, and how to balance your baby’s needs with your own. Whether you have questions about breastfeeding or bottle feeding (or both), find yourself asking “Is this normal?” about 100 times a day, or just want some company while you process all the changes that are going on, we’re here for you.
Postpartum doulas assist families by:
- Helping parents get some sleep by reducing chaos and creating a calmer environment
- Helping with feeding baby (breast or bottle)
- Meal preparation for parents (baby isn’t the only one who’s hungry!)
- Teaching soothing tips to help comfort baby
- Providing non-judgmental support and a listening ear
- Encouraging parents in their new role
- Validating the experiences of early parenting and providing emotional support
- Recognizing Early Signs of Postpartum Mood Disorders
- Cloth or Disposable Diapers
- Parenting Philosophies
- Sibling Care
- Twins/Multiples Care
- Family Bonding
- Baby Care
- Baby Soothing
- Remembering Self-Care
- And SO much more…
What will a postpartum doula shift be like?
First and foremost, our goal is to address your main concerns during each visit, whatever they may be.
We’ll spend some time at the beginning of each shift chatting with you about how things are going and answering your questions. Then, depending on your family’s needs, our postpartum doula shifts can include any of the following:
- Promoting parent/baby bonding
- Breastfeeding support
- Education around postpartum healing, newborn care, and infant sleep safety
- Caring for baby so parents can nap or shower
- Meal preparation, meal planning, grocery shopping
- Light tidying, household organization, laundry
- Helping caregivers adjust to a special/high need baby
- Helping older siblings adjust to the new baby
- Cloth diapering basics/set-up
- Pet care (feeding pets, etc.)
- “Greening your household” services (providing products/product recommendations for non-toxic and eco-friendly household cleaning and personal care)
- Identifying needs for further support or referrals